This will be the best comfort food you ever make! We recommend our Ironhorse for this recipe… Enjoy!
For the stew you will need
- 2 lbs. Beef ribs cut into 3-inch pieces
- Flour to dredge ribs
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 onions
- 3-4 carrots
- 3-4 ribs of celery
- Garlic to taste
- Salt and Pepper
- 2-3 cans of Ironhorse
Cooking the Stew
- Have the butcher cut the ribs.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, dredge the ribs and brown in a large dutch oven or pot.
- When all of the ribs have been browned, remove them and set them aside. Then deglaze the pan using the Ironhorse.
- Roughly chop the vegetables and add to the pot, cooking until they are soft.
- Add garlic, cayenne and tomato paste.
- Return the ribs to the pot, add rest of the Ironhorse.
- Simmer for at least two hours then check the meat, which should be falling from the bones.
- When your ready, Ladle into bowls and serve with lots of buttered soda bread.
For the soda bread you will need…
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn baking soda
- ½ tspn salt
- ¾ cup of buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- ½ tspn. dried basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano etc. to taste
*This is a basic recipe — you can add raisins, for instance, or nuts.
Baking the Soda Bread
- Combine flours and dry ingredients in one bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and butter in another.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and mix.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together, about five times.
- Place on greased 8 inch cake pan, slash top with an X about a half-inch deep, bake in pre-heated 375ºF over for 30 to 40 minutes until brown and crusty.
Serve a generous amount of the stew with a large slice of the soda bread, guaranteed satisfaction.